Friday, March 11, 2016

What's Scarier than Choosing a Genre? Choosing a Sub-Genre.

Figuring out which sub-genre of horror we want to create will help narrow down what our possible film can be about in regards to plot. We have yet to decide a plot so we are trying to see what type of horror films have the right feel that we are looking for. According to a graphic I found on Pinterest Board horror has many different sub-genres. We want ours to be a little more realistic, because, as explained in my previous post, relevance plays a big factor in whether or not people with watch/enjoy your film. For example if I make a film opening about a killing turkey no ones gonna care because it's irrelevant, thus making it not scary. (And if you are into killing turkeys, the film Thankskilling (2009) actually revolves around that) But for the rest of us, it doesn't do the trick. So with this in mind I want to start eliminating sub-genres of horror that are typically a little more cheesy and a little less realistic.
My options are split into five main categories: Gore & Disturbing, Psychological, Killer, Monster, and Paranormal. As of now I am leaning more towards Psychological and Killer, mostly because I personally fell that they can be the most realistic and thrilling for the audience. Perhaps some Paranormal, much like the film The Ring (2002).  Here are a few sub-divisions of these sub-genres that help narrow down what I can do to follow the basic conventions of the genre.

Psychological
-Madness & Paranoia: similar to slasher films & focuses on the madness of the character instead of focusing on the act of killing itself
-Fanaticism: extreme portrayal of an alternative belief, usually set in a close-knit town
-Phobia & Isolation: uses common fears within the plot, like for example, clowns

Killer:
-Slasher: gruesome murderers usually targeting teens, the murderers are almost always in disguise
-Home Invasion and Survival: invaders are often in disguise, similar to Slashers, the invaders are also very mischievous and cause chaos throughout the film.
Image result for scream
These are my two main options, Psychological and Killer, though with these I would like to incorporate either cannibalism or creepy kid because they just add a level of fear to the film that most people can relate to, which is almost like incorporating fanaticism into my piece. I want people to think about how my plot can actually happen and leave it with fear just so I can know for sure that I have done my job.

"Horror Genres and Sub-Genres - A Definitive List - Updated." Horror on Screen Best Horror Scary Movies by Genre. N.p., 10 June 2013. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.
IMDb. IMDb.com, n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.
"Infographic: The Complete List of Film Sub-Genres." Pinterest. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Apr. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment